Our Programs Sustainable Development Goals and Climate Change (SustGoCC)
Sustainable Development Goals and Climate Change (SustGoCC)
Since its inception in 2014, NEARC Inc. has adopted Environmental Stewardship as one of the core values and it believes it is now time to champion Sustainable Development Goals and act on Climate Change.
Why Champion Sustainable Development Goals?
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were adopted in September 2015 as part of the United Nation’s resolution, ‘Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development’. The SDGs are a collection of 17 interlinked goals designed to be a ‘blueprint’ to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. The UN’s Global Goals aim to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for everyone by 2030. Throughout the world, people want the same things: access to clean air and water; economic opportunities; a safe and healthy place to raise their kids; shelter; lifelong learning; a sense of community; and the ability to have a say in the decisions that affect their lives.
After rigorous consultations with communities and stakeholders NEARC Inc. has designed and developed a project titled ‘Preparing Manitoban Youth for AGENDA 2030 (PREMY- 2030). It is a holistic concept which crosscuts five and more sustainable development goals. It supports the objectives of building awareness of the 2030 agenda and increase partnerships and networks, thus assisting in furthering Canada’s implementation of the 2030 agenda. It creates resources to enhance and share knowledge on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) including the contribution of Indigenous knowledge and practices in relation to advancing sustainable development and enhance collaboration between various sectors.
Why take action on Climate Change?
Climate change occurs when long-term weather patterns are altered. For example, through human activity. Global warming is one measure of climate change and is a rise in the average global temperature. 800 million people (11% of the World’s population) currently vulnerable to climate change impacts such as droughts, floods, heat waves, extreme weather events and sea-level rise. Year 2019 - was the second warmest year on record. NASA data show that average global temperatures in 2019 were 1.8 degrees F (0.98 degrees C) warmer than the 20th century average.
NEARC Inc. plans to educate and promote sustainable development goals and act on climate change through Student Unite Initiative and engage High School, post secondary and University students.
The objectives Of this initiative are:
- To build awareness of the 2030 Agenda amongst Manitoban youth and increase partnerships and networks among like-minded organizations, schools and universities.
- To educate and inform Manitoban youth with focus on the Black, Mainstream Canadians, Indigenous and Newcomers (BMIN Youth).
- To create resilience among youth who would be proactively working towards Agenda 2030.
- To create an opportunity and engaging High School, post secondary and University students to be actively involved and engaged in promoting SDG Goals and Climate Change through Students Unite Initiative.
- To provide land-based education to high school students facilitated by elders.
- To promote and create awareness about SDG Agenda 2030 involving youth in schools and universities and offer in different settings and modes
- To help promote a platform to align strong youth voice in the Province of Manitoba